The “Mob Wives” Are Here to Stay
So as a Pulitzer Prize winning (self awarded) pop culture know-it-all (also self awarded, but it’s true), I’ve decided to reward myself with a weekly column on this here blog. Possibly bi-weekly if you hold your breaths. I just need to find a name for it. However, enough of that. Here’s to the first post of my column!
The vh1 reality show “Mob Wives” has certainly caused an uproar since it’s April 17th debut. It’s appalling, jaw-droppingly out of control, and it’s taking names. AND I LOVE IT. Yes, I’m an Italian-American and I love “Mob Wives,” for the simple fact that it’s entertaining as all hell. Actually, I love any form of entertainment that deals with the Mob – ask the “Godfather” of this blog, Rah, about that. Yea, I went there.
But what’s not to love about four grown women bad mouthing each other, cursing, and physically fighting each other? It’s like The Real Housewives of New Jersey on steroids after doing blow off of a counter in the back room of a pizza parlor.
The show centers around four women from Staten Island:
- Renee Graziano: daughter of Anthony Graziano, who according to the Federal Government is a high ranking member of La Cosa Nostra.
- Karen Gravano: daughter of Sammy “The Bull” Gravano, the infamous mobster who cooperated with the government to help take down John Gotti and the Gambino crime family. In other words, he’s a rat. And she and her family moved to Arizona because of it.
- Drita D’Avanzo: wife of Lee D’avanzo (ex-boyfriend of Karen). Federal prosecutors allege that he’s the leader of a Bonanno and Colombo crime family farm team. He’s currently serving time in prison for bank robbery (for the second time).
- Carla Facciolo: wife of Joey Ferragamo, who’s serving time for fraud.
- “You probably remember that painting,” Drita says to Karen as she pointed at the picture above her sofa. “Yeah bitch,” said Karen, “I do know that picture because it was sitting on my bedroom wall when I used to ride your husband.
- Karen: “Fuck Sammy “The Bull,” fuck John Gotti. I’m gangster, and I’m coming home!”
- Drita: “If you can’t do the time, just fuckin’ kill yourself.”
- Drita: “If I’m coming for you, I’m never gonna stop until I get you … Hospitalized, broken faces, like ambulance (whoop). It’s not like tuggin’, pullin’ hair and that. I’m gonna hurt you.”