Box Office Barometer 8-22-11: Finishing As Expected
Much like sports leagues and divisions, the weekend’s movies can be predicted based on name, pedigree, and history. This is one of those weekends.
For this week’s analogy, we chose the AL East.
1. Yankees (The Help)
2.Red Sox (Rise of the Planet of the Apes)
These two teams/movies have been 1-2 in some order. Both are guaranteed to be in the playoffs; the only uncertainty is who will win the division. As with the Yankees reclamation of first place this weekend, The Help usurped first place from the star-studded, much hyped movie. Either way, both are successful.
3. Tampa Bay Rays (Spy Kids: All the Time in the World, Conan the Barbarian, Fright Night)
The Rays have been measuring themselves up to their 2008 World Series team, coming up short every year since. This weekend, these properties from previously successful films were expected to derail the top two powerhouses. these films have not even come close to their predecessors: (Spy Kids 3D had the 19th highest opening weekend in 2003, Conan had the fifth in 1982, and Fright Night 22nd in 1985). With the exception of Conan, these films will be viewed as quality, but that doesn’t mean anything if you don’t make it to the playoffs.
4. Toronto Blue Jays (Final Destination 5, 30 Minutes or Less)
These movies are just there. They don’t overperform and they don’t underperform. They’re just performing.
5. Baltimore Orioles (One Day)
Just total garbage. Anne Hathaway’s accent? That’s almost as bad as anyone on the Orioles doing anything. Hathaway and Jim Sturgess as your stars? That’s like trotting out Mark Reynolds and Nick Markakis bobbleheads and expecting them to fly off the shelves. There are numerous things that I’d rather do than watch the Baltimore Orioles/One Day, and neither involves the other.
Box Office Results [from Deadline]
1. The Help (DreamWorks/Disney) Week 2 1/2 [2,690 Runs]
Friday $5.8M, Saturday $8M, Weekend $20.5M (-21%), Cume $71.8M
2. Rise Of The Planet Of The Apes (Fox) Week 3 [3,471 Runs]
Friday $4.6M, Saturday $6.7M, Weekend $16.3, Cume $133.7M
3. Spy Kids 4D – 3D (Dimension/Weinstein) NEW [3,295 Runs]
Friday $4M, Saturday $4.4M, Weekend $12M
4. Conan The Barbarian – 3D (Nu Image/Millenium/Lionsgate) NEW [3,015 Runs]
Friday $3.6M, Saturday $3.8M, Weekend $10.5M
5. Fright Night – 3D (DreamWorks/Disney) NEW [3,114 Runs]
Friday $3M, Saturday $2.9M, Weekend $8.3M
6. The Smurfs – 3D (Sony) Week 4 [3,427 Runs]
Friday $2.2M, Saturday $3.1M, Weekend $8M, Cume $117.7M
7. Final Destination 5 – 3D (New Line/Warner Bros) Week 2 [3,155 Runs]
Friday $2.4M, Saturday $3.1M, Weekend $7.7M (-57%), Cume $32.3M
8. 30 Minutes Or Less (Sony) Week 2 [2,888 Runs]
Friday $2M, Saturday $2.4M, Weekend $6.3M (-53%), Cume $25.7M
9. One Day (Focus Features) NEW [1,719 Runs]
Friday $1.8M, Saturday $1.8M, Weekend $5.1M
10. Crazy, Stupid, Love (Warner Bros) Week 4 [1,944 Runs]
Friday $1.5M, Saturday $1.9M, Weekend $4.9M, Cume $64.4M