Box Office Barometer 8-29-11: Excuses, Excuses
Hurricane Irene harshed everyone’s mellow this weekend and caused multiple northeastern movie chains to close theaters for the safety of their employees and customers. Unfortunately for those movies opening this weekend, that totally killed business. Fortunately for those movies opening this weekend, it totally provided an excuse as to why they bombed, because they most likely wouldn’t have succeeded anyway. Let’s look back at 2011’s bombs and provide excuses why they tanked.
Country Strong – People only see movies with Gwyneth Paltrow if she’s advertised as dead.
Beastly –Remus Lupin isn’t the only one experiencing werewolf bigotry.
Drive Angry 3D – It probably snowed this weekend.
Take Me Home Tonight – People thought this movie was about date rape.
Mars Needs Moms – After all the moms were taken to Mars, there was nobody to drive the kids to the movie theater.
Sucker Punch – People thought “Abbie Cornish” was some bad English game hen in the lead role, not actress Abbie Cornish.
Arthur – There was no way Russell Brand could have topped his performance from Hop the week before.
Hoodwinked Too! Hood vs. Evil – People protested the fact that Jim Belushi was left out of the sequel.
Priest – It was too soon to remake Legion (2009).
The Change-Up – People were too busy not re-watching Green Lantern.
Glee: The 3D Concert Movie – People don’t like being happy.
One Day – Anne Hathaway.
Box Office Results [from Deadline]
1. The Help (DreamWorks/Disney) Week 3.5 [2,778 Theaters]
Friday $4.4M, Saturday $5.9M, Weekend $14.3M, Cume $96.6M
2. Colombiana (Sony Pictures/TriStar) Week 1 [2,614 Theaters]
Friday $3.7M, Saturday $3.7M, Weekend $10.3M, Cume $10.3M
3. Don’t Be Afraid of the Dark (FilmDistrict) Week 1 [2,760 Theaters]
Friday $3.6M, Saturday $2.9, Weekend $8.6M, Cume $8.6M
4. Rise Of The Planet Of The Apes (Fox) Week 4 [3,374 Theaters]
Friday $2.6M, Saturday $3.6M, Weekend $8.6M, Cume $148.4M
5. Spy Kids 4D (Dimension/Weinstein Co) Week 2 [3,305 Theaters]
Friday $1.5M, Saturday $2.5M, Weekend $5.7M (-51%), Cume $21.7M
6. Our Idiot Brother (TWC) Week 1 [2,555 Theaters]
Friday $2.3M, Saturday $2.5M, Weekend $5.7M, Cume $5.7M
7. The Smurfs – 3D (Sony Pictures) Week 5 [2,861 Theaters]
Friday $1.2M, Saturday $2M, Weekend $4.7M, Cume $125.9M
8. Conan The Barbarian – 3D (Lionsgate) Week 2 [3,015 Theaters]
Friday $950K, Saturday $1.2M, Weekend $3.1M (-69%), Cume $16.5M
9. Fright Night – 3D (DreamWorks/Disney) Week 2 [3,114 Theaters]
Friday $971K, Saturday $1.2M, Weekend $3M (-70%), Cume $14M
10. Crazy, Stupid, Love (Warner Bros) Week 5 [1,577 Theaters]
Friday $1M, Saturday $1.2M, Weekend $2.9M, Cume $69.5M