Box Office Barometer 9-12-11: Power Rankings
This was the lowest-grossing weekend of the year, but don’t let that get you down. The NFL is back, and that’s a panacea for just about anything (except scurvy). In the spirit of football, we’ve decided to take this week’s Top 10 movies and power rank them using their aggregate Metacritic score. Here is the current Top 10:
1. Contagion (Weekend: $24 million)
2. The Help (Weekend: $9.4 million, Cume: $137.8 million)
3. Warrior (Weekend: $4.8 million)
4. The Debt (Weekend: $4.5 million, Cume: $21.6 million)
5. Colombiana (Weekend: $4 million, Cume: $29.8 million)
6. Rise of the Planet of the Apes (Weekend: $4 million, Cume: $168 million)
7. Shark Night 3D (Weekend: $3.6 million, Cume: $14.9 million)
8. Apollo 18 (Weekend: $3 million, Cume: $15.1 million)
9. Our Idiot Brother (Weekend: $3 million, Cume: $21.7 million)
10. Don’t Be Afraid of the Dark/Laugh At My Pain/Spy Kids 4D ($2 million-ish)
Way too low to measure. Bucky Larson: Born to Be a Star ($1.2 million)
Here’s the power rankings, Metacritic score in ( ) [note: there is no Metacritic score for Laugh At My Pain]:
1. Warrior (71)
2. Contagion (69)
3. Rise of the Planet of the Apes (68)
The movies you would actually see in theaters. Combining commercial appeal with quality during a time between summer blockbusters and fall Oscar-contenders, these are your best bets.
THE ‘THE’ MOVIES
4. The Debt (65)
5. The Help (62)
The movies you will watch with your parents when you are home for the holidays. It happened with The Blind Side. Both my parents, separately, said “Have you seen The Blindside? Great movie.” With the The Debt’s thriller for the dads, and the feel-good Whites-helping-Blacks movie for the moms, there’s no way you’re not going to get a recommendation at Christmastime.
THE NETFLIX STREAMERS
6. Our Idiot Brother (60)
7. Don’t Be Afraid of the Dark (56)
8. Colombiana (45)
These are the movies that you will check out on Netflix, because you probably thought about seeing them, but didn’t make it out to the theaters in time. When it’s time to stream a movie, you want to watch something of quality, because you already went out of your way to see the better movies in the theater. Decent movies, but more like movies to kill time on a Sunday (on a non-football weekend). The new direct-to-DVD movies oft this era, if you will.
THE “THESE WERE MADE BECAUSE OTHER MOVIES LIKE THESE MADE MONEY”
9. Spy Kids 4D (37)
10. Apollo 18 (24)
11. Shark Night 3D (22)
107. Bucky Larson: Born to Be a Star (11)
Spy Kids was a viable franchise for three installments, Apollo 18 tried to recapture the “found footage” spirit of Paranormal Activity, and Shark Night 3D thought Jaws proved that any movie with sharks makes money. As for Bucky Larson, it’s only precedent was being a Happy Madison movie, except Grandma’s Boy only made money when it went to DVD, and every Adam Sandler movie makes money because it stars Adam Sandler. Don’t even bother with these.